Oakhurst Girls’ Primary School celebrated its 100th birthday on the 8th October 2006.
“Long Live Oakhurst, Dear Old School”.
The school was started because families living on the Eastern side of the Liesbeeck River, particularly near the Camp Ground, did not like their small children having to cross the railway line to get to Rustenburg Girls’ School on the Main Road. Originally known as the Camp Ground School for Girls, Oakhurst took its present name in 1927 from one of the old houses on the Canigou Estate. Some of the present oak trees were planted that year and they have always been a symbol of the school.
The first principal was Mrs M Garcia and the current principal Mrs de la Bat, is only the ninth person to have shepherded this little school through one hundred happy years.
The school’s motto is “Nothing But The Best” and this is included in the school song which was written by an eleven year old pupil in the early 1920s.